Love of Cooking
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Lemon Pound Cake
Rate this Recipe
Serves 8 |
A sweet treat with a little zing.
|1 1/2 cups flour|
|1 teaspoon baking powder|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|2 sticks butter, softened at room temperature|
|1 cup sugar, plus 1/3 cup|
|2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract|
|1/4 cup lemon juice, plus 1/3 cup|
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Butter a 6-cup loaf pan and line it with parchment or waxed paper. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer), cream the butter. Add 1 cup of the sugar and mix. With the mixer running at low speed, add the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla. Working in alternating batches, and mixing after each addition, add the dry ingredients and 1/4 cup of the lemon juice to the butter mixture. Mix until just smooth.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake until raised in the center and a tester inserted into the center comes out dry and almost clean, about 65 to 75 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze: In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 1/3 cup sugar and the remaining 1/3 cup lemon juice until the sugar is dissolved.
- When the cake is done, let cool in the pan 15 minutes. Run a knife around the sides of the pan. Set a wire rack on a sheet pan with sides and turn the cake out onto the rack. Peel off the waxed paper.
- Use a pastry brush, spread glaze all over the top and sides of the cake and let soak in. Repeat until the entire glaze is used up, including any glaze that has dripped through onto the sheet pan. Let cool at room temperature.